4 lb. butternut squash
4 slices thick bacon, cut in 1/2'' pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
salt & pepper
1 bay leaf
1 lb fingerling potatoes, 1/2'' dice
1/4 c. white wine
3 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. heavy cream
- Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise. Butter the flesh. Roast at 375F for 30-40 minutes, until scoopable. Scoop out flesh and puree.
- Heat bacon pieces in dutch oven. When brown, remove and drain on paper towel. Add onion and celery. Season with salt & pepper. Saute until soft, about 6 minutes. Add bay leaf and potatoes. Cover for 3 minutes.
- Add wine; deglaze pan. Add broth. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occassionally, for about 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender (we prefer ours on the al dente side).
- Add butternut squash puree and bacon. Cook, stirring occassionally, for 5 minutes. Add cream. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
- Serve with a thick slice of buttered whole grain bread.
Note: If you have a baby, like we do, keep a little bit of the puree and you've got a perfect dinner for your little one, too!