Thursday, January 17, 2008

Butternut Squash Chowder

My husband and I fell in love with this soup when I made it last night, so I thought I'd share my recipe.

Butternut Chowder
Serves 6

4 lb. butternut squash
butter
4 slices thick bacon, cut in 1/2'' pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
salt & pepper
1 bay leaf
1 lb fingerling potatoes, 1/2'' dice
1/4 c. white wine
3 c. chicken broth
1/3 c. heavy cream


  1. Slice butternut squash in half lengthwise. Butter the flesh. Roast at 375F for 30-40 minutes, until scoopable. Scoop out flesh and puree.
  2. Heat bacon pieces in dutch oven. When brown, remove and drain on paper towel. Add onion and celery. Season with salt & pepper. Saute until soft, about 6 minutes. Add bay leaf and potatoes. Cover for 3 minutes.
  3. Add wine; deglaze pan. Add broth. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occassionally, for about 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender (we prefer ours on the al dente side).
  4. Add butternut squash puree and bacon. Cook, stirring occassionally, for 5 minutes. Add cream. Ladle into bowls and serve hot.
  5. Serve with a thick slice of buttered whole grain bread.

Note: If you have a baby, like we do, keep a little bit of the puree and you've got a perfect dinner for your little one, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.