Sunday, January 20, 2008

Precious Things


This morning, as I was rifling through Sophia's closet to choose something for her to wear, I came across her christening dress and bonnet, and I had an epiphany. 

Soon, she won't fit this beautiful dress any longer. 

Now, let me mention first, it's not a gown, just a lovely little dress with embroidery and pearls and a matching bonnet. Since everyone at church knew that she had already been christened in October, they were all slightly confused as to why she was decked out as she was. I explained that I had loved the dress and that, since she would soon outgrow it, I wanted to have her wear it again. What better place than at church? 

When I told the older mothers in our congregation this, a kind light dawned in their eyes. They knew exactly what I meant.

This episode made me realize something: Why do we store up the things that bring us joy, rather than using them in everyday life in a way that they can be appreciated? 

Why do we make our most precious things so, well, precious?

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus gives us the following message:
"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house." ~ Matt. 5:15
Of course, He's speaking about the faith of the believer and not a child's dress, but can we not glean a valuable lesson about how to treat our precious things, as well? 

What are the items in your house that you would love to use but don't because you feel they are too "special" to use everyday? What would it be like if you brought them out and used them in your everyday living? 

Maybe it's your grandmother's brooch that you long to wear but are afraid of losing. Or, perhaps it's that Hummell figurine that you love to gaze on but keep locked away for fear one of the children might break it. 

What is this surrendering to fear doing to our lives except depriving us of joy?

The Lord of life wants us to live our lives in joy and freedom, not in fear. I don't know, but I wonder, if we do this with little things like our worldly possessions, will it help us to cultivate the same in our characters? Perhaps if I conquer the fear of shattered china in order to bring joy into my homemaking, the Lord will guide me in surrendering other fears for joy's sake. 

In any case, the world--and our homes--can always stand a little more beauty.


2 comments:

  1. I just want to encourage you to keep writing! I love the way you write but I love how you look at things and have the ability to write down so beautifully! I think you are about the same age as my oldest son and it is amazing how much grace you have at such a young age! Truly beautiful to see!

    Love and God's Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a sweet picture of utter joy in a baby's face. precious!

    i found your blog by way of a bunny-trail. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.