Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Full"

“Full”
by Bethany Hudson


When I was born, my mother had no words.
Only tears of joy in abundance.
And, when I left home at eighteen,
it was the same.

After twenty-seven years of sleeping side by side,
my father stumbled out the door into
a broken life, leaving her behind.
There were no words, then, either.

What words can you use with a heart so
full
of sorrow or
of hope,
of yearning,
of peace?

When I married, I wanted traditional vows.
Not because I couldn’t write my own,
not because I had nothing to say,
but because my heart was so
full
of letting go
and hoping,
of yearning,
of peace.
No, with these things
filling my heart to bursting,
what more could I say than
Yes.
You.
For better or worse, until death.

And when I kneel beside my bed
or bow my head in church
with a heart so
full
of sorrow,
hope,
yearning,
peace,
I am thankful that my savior
gave me all the words I need.

Pater noster, qui es in cœlis;
sanctificatur nomen tuum:
Adventiat regnum tuum;
fiat voluntas tua, sicut in cœlo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie:
Et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris:
et ne nos inducas in tentationem:
sed libera nos a malo.

Amen.
Amen.
Let it be.

Do not use any portion of the above work without the express permission of the author.

* The Bookworm's Library has been updated: The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton

5 comments:

  1. Amen. Amen. Let it be.


    Just beautiful, Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it, Becca! I have to read this on Sunday at church, and I'm super nervous about it. I've done some acting for the congregation before, but I've never read my own work, and I'm terrified of reading my own stuff. I guess I should review the advice I gave you in that email awhile back :)
    ~Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, review that email! I'm gonna see if I can pull it up and send it back your way right now, actually. You spoke of being proud of what I had to say and getting excited about sharing my work and message! Get excited!!!! This is a wonderful piece of writing and I'm sure it's going to be really special to have the opportunity to communicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter, I am sobbing. Thank you. No words, but I can feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I am so glad the Lord gave us His prayer. When we don't know what to pray, it is there for us.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.