Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hot Cocoa


To me, there are a few things more comforting than a hot cup of cocoa on a cold winter's night. With an uncharacteristic (though very welcome from my viewpoint) snowfall here in the Seattle area, Brian and I have been indulging in this simple and utterly blissful holiday tradition. And, why not? It's a wonderful way to get a little more calcium into my diet, which is very important during pregnancy. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I am fond of hot chocolate, which is different from hot cocoa: made with chocolate and water, served very rich and thick, usually in a demitasse cup. In the first days of Spring, there's nothing like a small sip of deep, dark hot chocolate. But, the bitter winds of winter seem to call for a big mug, full of hot, creamy cocoa to wrap your chilled hands around and savor long and slowly. Personally, I loathe the overly sweet cocoa packets that they sell in the store. They're not only much more expensive than homemade cocoa, they result in a dismally inferior taste and consistency. For real, thick, frothy hot cocoa, here is my stand-by recipe. I hope it brings some warmth and holiday cheer to your winter nights.


Ingredients:
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/4 c. water
4 c. whole milk (the full fat content really makes a difference in taste and consistency, but if you must lower the fat content, please at least use 2%, not skim)
1 t. vanilla


Directions:
Whisk sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Add water, whisking until smooth and syrup just begins to boil. Add milk, and stir occassionally to be certain that none of the milk scalds in the pan or forms a skin on top. When milk is steaming and very hot (but not boiling), pour into mugs. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows, if you like. Enjoy, preferably with your family, gathered in front of a roaring fire.

5 comments:

  1. I know it sounds just awful, but spiking with a dash of cayenne pepper adds a very pleasant, warming spiciness. My favorite winter beverage is hot lemonade, made with fresh squeezed-lemons, sugar, and a drop of maple syrup, and just a touch of cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison- I'm definitely with you on the hot pepper. We sometimes use ancho chile powder. Cinnamon is also nice for the not-quite-so-adventurous. I've never heard of hot lemonade before. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany,
    I just found your blog through Anna T. at Domestic Felicity. I will be back to visit! And also, I linked to your blog on my blog - hope you don't mind. If so, just let me know and I will remove the link.

    Usually I am a coffee drinker but hot cocoa sounds really good. And I like the idea of getting a little more calcium in my diet. You see, I am going on 9 weeks pregnant and hate drinking milk! This has been one of my concerns so I will have to try hot cocoa in the mornings instead of my usual coffee. Thanks for the suggestion!

    Merry Christmas and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jody- I have no problem at all with you posting a link to my blog on your own. In fact, I'm pleased that you have enjoyed your visit here so much. I look forward to getting to "know" you better. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Some other good ways to get calcium in your diet are non-fat puddings and yogurts, cheese, calcium-fortified orange juice, and TUMS. (TUMS are safe during pregnancy, but be sure to ask your doc. just in case)
    ~Bethany

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.