Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Cake


Growing up, my family was fonder of pies than cakes, so I never had much experience in baking them. I consider myself a pretty accomplished baker (particularly for a 24-year-old), but cakes have always been my bane. Because I hate to be beaten, especially by something so sweet, I decided to take cakes on and determined to make one on holidays throughout the year. Here is my St. Patrick's Day specimen. I think it turned out pretty nicely (if I do say so myself). It's a two-layer sour cream chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream. I made the design on top by placing a shamrock-shaped cookie cutter lightly on the frosting and decorating around it with sprinkles, then outlining the design with buttercream.

I will post more on St. Patrick's Day later this week--not just because it's such a fun holiday or because I'm part-Irish but because Patrick is one of my very favorite saints.


What are you doing to celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's gorgeous! I have the worst time with cakes. I do attempt them every family birthday, but they never come out nice and fluffy. My excuse is my tiny Japanese oven (I can only bake one layer at a time). Maybe I'll try cupcakes with some pretty green icing. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Hudson,

    Your St. Patrick's Day cake looks beautiful. I am thinking it tastes very good as well. I've just come across your blog from the Domestic Felicity blog and I have enjoyed reading older posts this week end while I rock and nurse my baby.

    Thank you for creating such a beautiful blog to brighten a corner of the Internet world.

    Your spring cleaning list has motivated me like no other suggestion for Spring cleaning. I think it is because I know there is a real person behind the list and not just an editor from a fancy woman's magazine.

    We make key lime pie for St. Patrick's Day and St. Patrick's Day sugar cookies for our sweet dessert. We also often have rainbow sorbet for a rainbow. A rather secular part of the celebration, but cute, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be having a "Green Fellowship" at church where everyone brings green foods. At first, a lot of folks were not so sure about it. But now they are all getting in the spirit and planning creative menus. It should be a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm (mostly) irish too!

    have a blessed monday, dear♥

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.