Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cider Mama's Scones


Last summer, I had the most delicious scones I'd ever tasted at a little teahouse just north of our home called Elizabeth & Alexander's. Of course, they guard their scrumptious recipe jealously, but I determined that I was going to recreate it. I don't know if I've got the exact recipe; in fact, I'm fairly certain it isn't precisely the same, as I'm almost positive their recipe does not contain egg, but after much experimentation, this is the one that my husband and I have decided is "the" recipe for our home. So, for the love of scones, teatime, and all things British, I share it with you all! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cream of tartar
3/4 c. butter
1 c. cream
1 egg
2 t. vanilla

Directions:
Whisk dry ingredients together in large bowl. Cut in (by hand!--do not use food processor) butter until crumbly. Whisk cream, egg, and vanilla together in small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry with a fork until combined. You may need to finish mixing with your hands. Dump dough onto work surface and pat into 1'' thick circle. Cut into 6 pieces for a hearty breakfast or into eighths (or cut with 2.5'' round cutter) for teatime or a lighter appetite. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes for 6 scones; adjust time as needed for smaller scones (10-12 minutes). Take them out when the tops have just turned golden and the sides are still "blonde" for the best texture. Let cool at least 10 minutes or to room temperature. Enjoy with strawberry jam and Devonshire cream if you can get it!

3 comments:

  1. WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAKING SCONES??? you're supposed to be having a baby!

    ((hugs)) thinking of you, my dear♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I am going to try these tomorrow on Ascension Day! It will be a nice treat. I'm sure Jesus likes scones, too.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. have awarded you with a lovely award. Please stop by my blog to find out what.

    I know you are busy, don't feel you have to list others, I just wanted to share your site with others.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.