Thursday, May 7, 2009

Moist Chocolate Cake


At long last, my search is over!! Who knew that finding a chocolate cake recipe that was neither too dense nor too soft to hold its shape during frosting, moist enough, and chocolatey enough would be such an ordeal? Finally, I think I have managed to concoct a thoroughly satisfactory chocolate cake recipe. Even my husband, who is not a big cake eater, raved about this one. And, now that it's in my repertoire, I can relax and move on to finding the perfect frosting to pair with it. I have a few recipes I'm wanting to try out in that department, and I'll let you all know which one I think pairs best.

Ingredients

2 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 c. golden brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. water

frosting of choice

Directions

  1. Butter a 9'' round cake pan. Cut a parchment round and place in bottom of pan; butter again, and dust pan with flour, knocking out excess.
  2. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in bowl.
  3. Beat butter and sugar together until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
  4. Alternately mix in flour mixture and water, beginning and ending with flour, scraping bowl well, until just combined.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
  6. Cool on rack for one hour. Turn out cake; flip upright, and allow to cool completely.
  7. Level top; slice in half horizontally, and frost as desired.
  8. Enjoy with a tall glass of ice-cold milk!

A little aside: A reader asked me how my family eats these recipes that I post and manages to stay thin. Well, first of all, we were all blessed with "thin" genes. But, in addition, we don't eat chocolate cake and cheesy beef casseroles every night. We eat vegetarian at least once or twice a week, and I usually only bake a toothsome dessert like chocolate cake for Sunday dinner or when we are expecting guests. (We also don't have any storebought or processed snacks in the house, which I think goes a long way toward maintaining a healthy weight.) It's just that I like to put the tastiest recipes up here on my blog. Maybe I should start sharing some of our more waistline-friendly ones, too?

9 comments:

  1. Nah....dessert isn't dessert if it isn't made with cream, butter, and sugar!

    :)

    Although, Cooking Light DOES have some really fabulous desserts...just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy- you good little cook you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate cake! I will have to give this recipe a try. My personal favorite is chocolate mayonnaise cake. Have you ever tried it? It's very moist and delish, of course. Hope you all are doing well, and that the baby will come soon! Can't wait to see the new little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing, Bethany :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bethany,

    My mother's chocolate frosting recipe always gets incredible responses, and it is my failsafe one! If you want to put it on the list of ones to try, I'd love to share it with you.

    ~Elizabeth~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea- I quite agree :) Honestly, none of my "health" recipes are dessert ones :) What's the point?

    Brooke- I have heard of the mayonnaise cakes, but have never tried one...

    Elizabeth- I would LOVE your mother's recipe to try :)

    ~Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please share some of your other recipes. I'm trying to weed out processed foods, and I'm having a hard time coming up with good recipes that aren't super complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bethany,
    I am going to try out this recipe and wanted to ask if it is baking powder or baking soda--the recipe calls for baking soda, but below you list baking powder in the instructions. Just want to make sure which one I should use. Thanks! I love new recipes and appreciate your sharing them! Holly Norris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly- Thanks for the heads up! Apparently I'm a ditz at writing recipes :-P I also added the baking temp in the coffee cake recipe, thanks to your catch. It should be baking powder in this one, and I've adjusted the recipe to say that. Thank you! You want to be my editor?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.