Thursday, July 16, 2009

Show & Tell Friday: Peanut Butter & Jelly Cake


My show & tell today is the birthday cake that I made for Sophia for her 2nd birthday, on Wednesday. It's a peanut butter & jelly cake! I was really proud because I came up with the idea all on my own; I'd never had such a cake before, but peanut butter & jelly is one of Sophia's favorite foods, and I thought it would be fun to work it into her birthday celebration. It's my staple vanilla cake recipe with homemade strawberry jam and peaunut butter frosting. So, here are the photos and recipes, so you can try it out yourself:


Cider Mama's One Bowl Vanilla Cake

Cider Mill Strawberry Jam



Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 c. softened butter (unsalted)
1 c. creamy peanut butter (I used Jif)
4 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. cream

Beat butter and peanut butter together. Add confectioners' sugar and cream; whip until combined and frosting is very spreadable. Makes enough for one 9 x 13 sheet cake or a 2-layer 9'' cake.



We decorated Sophia's cake with fresh flowers from the Farmer's Market and three pink candles: 2 years + 1 to grow on! You can, obviously, use any decorations you'd like. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany,
    Thanks for stopping in my blog, you are right in my back yard. I am just up in Arlington, WA.
    Boy that cake looks wonderful and I bet it was loved and eaten by all! Your daughter is darling, I love the name Sophia.
    Enjoy your weekend and blessings to little 2 year old Sophia!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks delicious. I love peanut butter so I am sure I would really like it.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...I will have to try this. Who doesn't love peanut butter and jelly?!

    If you have the chance stop by The Old Parsonage I love company!

    Enjoy your day!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet Mommie you are to do a special cake in her favorite flavors. Making memories for her to cherish as years go by. Happy 2nd Birthday to Sophie.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious.
    I definetly will use the recipe
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her face shows how much your cake means. Just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! The cake turned out very pretty. I'm sure your daughter loved it! Happy Birthday to her!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely cake. So pretty for a sweet little girl. I loved it don't know which part best but the flowers were so neat.
    Thanks for sharing it. I am sure you are making some wonderful memories and how neat you have photo's!
    Have a Blessed Day...btw I have a giveway at my blog
    myjourneyback-thejourneyback.blogspot.com
    My show and tell post is at My home sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job on that cake looks super yummy Happy Birthday Sophia may the Lord bless you with many many more birthdays and peanut butter cakes to come! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.