Friday, August 14, 2009

Show & Tell Friday: Children's Journals


I am a writer, by nature. I have a hopechest that is gradually being filled with the journals I've been keeping since I was eighteen. I write on this blog. I'm working on a couple of different projects, and I write for Phases of Womanhood. I write fiction, non-fiction, and poetry. Being a writer is a part of who I am. And, recently, I came up with a way to share that piece of myself with my children.


Of course, Brian and I already have the tradition of writing a letter to each of our children on their birthdays, and I have a babybook for each of my two children. I also keep a family scrapbook going year-round. But, I recently realized that I would really love to be able to give my children the gift of knowing about their own childhoods--and about each other's! But, of course, I don't want them to have to go poking through all my old diaries to find out about that. I could tell them stories, naturally, but what about when I'm gone, and what about the stories I might forget?


So I came up with the idea to start a journal for each of them. Each journal begins with the story of the child's own birth, naturally. Then, I record memorable events, funny things they did or said, hopes and dreams that I have for them; whatever little tidbits of life come along that I want to pass on to them one day. When they leave our home one day, I will give them their journal, so that they will always know where they come from and who they are.



Sophia's journal is the one with the flours, James' the ones with the knights. It took me ages to find just the right ones. It has been so much fun filling them out. Since I only came up with the idea recently, I had to go back through my diaries to catch Sophia's up. What a blessing that I kept them so diligently! Even with only two years of life to Sophia's credit and two months to James', it is amazing what incredible life stories have already been woven for these precious children of mine! God is so good, and I feel so blessed that I can help to record the stories He is writing for them.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift for your children.I'm sure that they will become family heirlooms. I just started following you blog.

    Please stop by The Old Parsonage anytime, I love visitors!

    Enjoy
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty! I am sure your children will treasure everything you write for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful idea. I actually use my blog in a way to keep track, unfortunately I didn't start blogging until after my daughter and son were already here. The twins however have had more written on them, an actual video of them at my 19th week of pregnancy (during surgery) and more ultrasound photos than my other two ever had. So they may appreciate having me write journals for them, or something similar, just to let them know that they are just as important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. What a wonderful gift for your children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea. I started a journal for my son that I kept on the computer, but haven't been as faithful with it as I wished. I think I might try your idea of getting a beautiful book and just keeping a journal the old fashioned way. I like the idea that you can give it to them someday-- and what a treasure for their children and grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special present for your children!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.