Thursday, August 20, 2009

Show & Tell Friday: Homemade Lavender Wreath


About a month ago, a friend and neighbor of mine asked me if I'd like some lavender from her garden, as she ended up harvesting far more than she needed. I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but eagerly agreed. I debated between sachets, baking or cooking with it, making some homemade herbes de provence, or making a lavender wreath, something I had actually been longing to purchase for a long time but couldn't justify the cost of. In the end, the wreath won out. So, for the rock bottom price of $2.76 (what it cost me to get a small twig wreath base and some floral wire at our local Michael's), I now have my very own lavender wreath.


To make the wreath, you work with a small frame. Then, separate the fresh lavender into small bunches and lay them against the wreath. Tie them down tightly using the floral wire. Continue all the way around the wreath, then touch up any barer spots with more lavender sprigs, binding with floral wire as before. Finish the wreath off with a coordinating ribbon, hang, and enjoy!


Some credit must go to my husband. He was watching me put it together and said, "That looks like fun...Could I do some, too?" So, I did the basic wreath construction, and then Brian added in all the filler to make it look more lush. After assembly, we hung it up to dry in our bedroom, and now it hangs on the wall in our closet area, next to our bathroom. Unfortunately, that area of the house is entirely internal, so I wasn't able to get very good lighting while taking the picture. But, you get the idea.

* The Bookworm's Library has been updated: A Book of Feasts and Seasons by Joanna Bogle

10 comments:

  1. That's very pretty and I'm sure it smells wonderful. I love the scent of lavender. I've never been brave enough to try to make my own wreath like this, but it sure is tempting after you said how cost-effective it was.

    I came by from Show and Tell. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty. You have done a good job on that. Thats for sharing and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wreath is wonderful! I love lavender. I use a lavender linen spray on my sheets each time I change them.I've tried my had at growing it but it never blooms:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a kind gesture from your friend. I love the wreath and I too want one.

    Please stop by The Old Parsonage anytime, I love company!

    Enjoy your day!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lavender wreath? OH my!!! I love lavender and the smell just wonderful! I am sure your house smells good now! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful...I love the photography also...great lighting and shadows.
    I bet the fragrance just fills the room!!!

    My Show n Tell is now posted. It's all about another collection and how I've decided to display them for now.

    Have a great weekend, and a wonderful new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it looks lovely. Has it perserved the color in the drying? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love lavender. Years ago when we lived in the Pacific NW, I had tons of lavender growing in my garden. It seems like I've never been able to grow it the same anywhere else. Enjoy your wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so nice. I'll bet it smells nice also. I recently read a book called, The Wildwater Walking Club. There was reference to some Lavender farms and towns that have festivals.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't beat it when the husband jumps in to help! The wreath turns out wonderfully. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.