Sunday, September 27, 2009

Better-Than-Boyscout Caramel Corn


We've been enjoying the first chilly days of autumn here in Seattle. This is my absolute favorite time of year! I love everything about autumn--the colors; the crisp, sunshiny days; the smell of clean, cold air mingled with the sweet smell of dying leaves. Most of all, though, I love the food!

We found ourselves with a lazy Sunday afternoon, since we were going to be guests at a friend's house for dinner and I didn't need to prepare anything. So, to celebrate the change of season, we used our time wisely by making some tasty homemade caramel corn. It was the first time Brian had ever had homemade caramel corn, and he was in heaven. "This is way better than what the boyscouts sell!" he declared. What higher praise is there than that?


So, here is my recipe for Better-than-Boyscout Caramel Corn. It's extremely easy and very yummy. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 T. vegetable oil
2/3 c. popcorn kernels
2 sticks butter

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:
  1. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Oil the foil (hee hee). Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven with lid. Place 2 kernels in oil. When both kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn all at once. Cover with lid. Toss occasionally, with lid on, until all kernels have popped. Pour into a bowl.
  3. Meanwhile, make caramel in a large stockpot. Melt butter. Add sugars and corn syrup. Stir over moderate heat until boiling. Continue to boil without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 300F, about 6-8 minutes.
  4. Stir in baking soda and salt with a heatproof spatula, being careful to scrape the sides of the pot well. Quickly add popcorn and pecans and stir well to coat.
  5. Spread caramel corn on prepared baking sheets and cool (about 15 minutes). Break into pieces, and gobble!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you this recipe! Most caramel popcorn recipes call for baking it in the oven after coating the corn, and with my tiny Japanese oven it just doesn't work. I do have a recipe that involves microwaving, but it's still a pain and I love to forgo the microwave when possible. I will definitely be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My stomach started growling just looking at the pictures. I totally have to try this! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.