Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Incredibly Moist Hungarian Coffee Cake


I did some adapting of this recipe from Catholic Cuisine to make a Hungarian coffee cake for my nameday on Tuesday in honor of my patron, St. Elizabeth of Hungary. The result was--and I swear I'm not trying to boast; I was actually rather astonished--the best coffee cake I have ever eaten. It was moist but still dense; absolutely delicious. Thanks to some fat-free sour cream, it was actually a little lower in fat than a standard coffee cake recipe, as well.

So--because if you've got a good thing, why not share it--here is the recipe for you all. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family did!

Ingredients:

1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking powder
2 c. flour
1 c. sour cream

1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Directions:

Butter and flour a bundt pan thoroughly.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add the vanilla, salt, baking powder, flour, and sour cream and beat for three minutes.

Mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans together in small bowl.

Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan then top the batter with all of the brown sugar mixture. Top that with the remaining batter and knock the pan on the counter a bit until the batter settles. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes to an hour (45 minutes was plenty in my oven). Do not overbake! As soon as the tester comes out clean, it's done.

Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. You can dust this with powdered sugar or a glaze, but that's just too much sweetness for my family. We like ours plain with a cup of strong, black coffee.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this makes me want to head to my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was, indeed, seriously tasty! I'm ALL about moist baked goods - a very picky bread/scone eater, and I loved this! Can't eat too much though, as it's definitely dense and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO good! I am a new blog visitor. Your blog is very pretty and so are your two little ones! I wil be back to read more.

    Warmly,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I linked to this on my weekly roundup - the post is here. Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this to go with our breakfast on Thanksgiving morning. We had our in-laws here and it was a big hit. My husband especially liked it so I will be sure to make it again for special occasions! (I'm thinking birthday mornings for my husband and kids--who wouldn't love a little cake to start out their special day?) I didn't see a baking temp on there, but went with 350 and it worked perfectly. Thanks for posting---we really enjoyed it! Holly Norris

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful recipe! I've made it numerous times since you posted it several years ago. I didn't have sour cream on hand one time, so I substituted plain yogurt--it turned out great! Thanks for sharing this.

    I hope you are doing well. It's been a while since you last posted.

    Blessings!
    Noele

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this coffee cake in the oven right now. I make it every few months for my Sunday School class - it's one of their favorite treats! I have used Greek yogurt in place of sour cream before, which works well. It's such a great, simple recipe, but so delicious! So glad I found it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.