Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bright Pasta Tonnato

 
 
Here's one of those cabinet meals recipes I promised you all ages ago! I really didn't forget about those; I've just be busy.

Everything in this meal can be stored long-term in the pantry or refrigerator. It can be made year round, but we really love it in the winter, when its bright flavors are especially welcome. It's also very useful for Friday nights, the traditional time for Catholics to serve fish. This is an easy, inexpensive, very speedy fish dish that even my two-year-old daughter scarfs down eagerly! My husband has also declared this dish to be one of his top 10 favorites. So easy to please.

Even if you don't normally serve fish on Friday--or ever!--consider giving this one a try. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lb. small shell noodles
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 anchovy fillets, minced
1 10.5 oz. can tomato puree
1 T capers
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 5 oz. cans good quality tuna preserved in olive oil, preferably Italian
Freshly ground black pepper
2 T chopped flat-leaf parsley


Directions:

Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute garlic in hot oil, about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add anchovy fillets and saute another 2 minutes until garlic is just golden. Add tomato puree and capers, stirring to combine. Stir in olives and tuna. Flavor with black pepper.

Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 c. cooking liquid. Add liquid slowly to sauce until it reaches desired consistency. Add pasta to sauce and stir to coat. Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, that sounds DIVINE. If only my husband liked fish. He would never TOUCH it. I can't even have anchovies on my half of a pizza.
    I will have to make it just for myself sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.