Monday, December 21, 2009

Cranberry Puree

Wow. It's not every day in the kitchen when you can stop and say, "I have seriously outdone myself." But, today was one of those days.

In order to make for an unhurried Christmas celebration, I have begun parsing out tasks for Christmas dinner and treats throughout the week. Tonight marked the time when I would make my cranberry relish, to be stored in the fridge for the next few days. So, I plopped my cranberries in a pot on the stove with a recipe open at my elbow, and then, as is often the case with such things, I started improvising.

When I was done, I realized that I had made something that I at least really loved. Forget cookies, I knew it was going to take all my willpower not to eat the entire quart of relish in the next four days. I gave my husband a spoonful and asked what he thought.

"You made that up, didn't you?" he asked.

"Um, sort of," I replied.

He gave me a proud, happy grin. "Write it down. Right now. Please?"

So, I'm writing it down, and I'm sharing it with you.


Apple Cider Mama's Cranberry Puree

Ingredients:
16 oz. cranberries
2 c. sugar
zest and juice of 1 orange + another 1/2 c. orange juice (I used Tropicana "some pulp")
1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. cinnamon

Directions:
Put cranberries, sugar, zest, and juice in a pan and stir over moderately high heat. Let boil 10 minutes or until most of the cranberries have burst. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla. Process in a blender for a couple of seconds until pureed. Can be stored up to three months in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

Note: You could also make this into a sorbet by processing it thoroughly, straining, and then processing it in an ice cream maker.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm I love cranberries. I make a cranberry salsa every year, but I just stick with the berries, sugar, and a whole orange. I'll have to try adding the vanilla and cinnamon. That sounds like it would spice it up some and be even more excellent. Did you use a recipe for inspiration, or just play with it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very yummy! My oldest daughter is making a cranberry cheesecake for Christmas dinner dessert... her own recipe as well. I think improvising is half the fun of cooking, meself☺

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.