Friday, January 29, 2010

Fluffy Whole Grain Pancakes


"'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,' said Piglet at last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?' 'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh. 'What do you say, Piglet?' 'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?' said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. 'It's the same thing,' he said."

- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
I adore pancakes! I think I would be perfectly content eating them every single morning. The trouble with pancakes, though, is that they are not necessarily the most healthful food. Adding fruit either in the pancake batter or on top of the flapjack stack is a good start, and a tall glass of ice cold milk helps, too, but adding whole grains to the first meal of the day is the real key to a healthy pancake breakfast. Many of the recipes I have tried for whole grain pancakes, however, prove to be too dense, and they just don't hit the soft spot in my heart reserved for light, fluffly pancakes. However, this recipe has it all: texture, taste, and nutritients. It is now the staple recipe in our house for lazy Saturday mornings.
Fluffy Whole Grain Pancakes

3/4 c. rolled oats
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 T sugar (white or brown)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 egg
2 T butter, melted

Soak oatmeal in buttermilk 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat egg and melted butter into oatmeal mixture. Stir oatmeal mixture into dry ingredients until incorporated. Pour scoops of batter onto heated griddle. Makes 6 pancakes. Serve hot with butter and syrup. We love ours with berry syrup (2 c. berries heated with 1 c. maple syrup) or sliced bananas.

5 comments:

  1. I will be trying this recipe! We had waffles the other night for dinner and they were a big hit... I thought that the little ones were going to die of happiness each time the waffle iron dinged and revealed a waffle where there was a spoonful of batter. Oh to be little again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such inspiration to buy buttermilk! Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna- If you've got milk and lemon juice, no need for buttermilk: http://applecidermama.blogspot.com/2009/08/homemaking-tip-7-buttermilk-substitute.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! Those look really nice. I'm copying the recipe down to try too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum - I don't make pancakes often enough! I linked to this on my weekly roundup - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.