Monday, February 1, 2010

February

"Woman Sewing by Candlelight" by Jean Francois Millet

"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home." - Edith Sitwell

February is here--the last month before spring! In Western Washington, this is by far the dreariest time of year. Sometimes we can go for a week without seeing the sun, and being wet becomes a way of life until the March winds blow the rainclouds off. But, as the wise king once wrote, "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under Heaven." February is a glorious time for curling up with a good book, enjoying a hot bowl of soup with the family, lighting those last winter fires, and of course dreaming.

With foul weather keeping us bound to home and hearth even more than usual, it is pleasant to fight cabin fever with some good, old-fashioned family celebration. Here are some upcoming holidays to start pondering:

  • Feast of St. Brigid of Ireland (today!)

  • Candlemas (tomorrow!)

  • Feast of St. Blaise (February 3rd)

  • Feast of St. Agatha (February 5th)

  • Feast of St. Scholastica (February 10th)


  • Feast of St. Valentine (February 14th)

  • Feast of St. Bernadette Soubirous (February 18th)

  • Feast of the Chair of St. Peter the Apostle (February 22nd)

Now, let's take stock. How are your New Year's Resolutions coming along? Remember, slow and steady wins the race. If there are some resolutions you haven't accomplished yet--or if you haven't quite stuck with them--take heart! There are eleven months to go, plenty of time to turn over that new leaf.
Here is my rundown of my 10 for '10:
  1. I have yet to manage to get a Holy Hour. We'll start afresh in February, and this month I'll be sure to coordinate with Brian so that I have a scheduled time to visit the adoration chapel.
  2. My price book has begun! I have ten items and counting.
  3. I've been praying the Liturgy of the Hours with some regularity, though I don't get all the hours in every day. Slow and steady.
  4. I've only missed on Divine Mercy Chaplet on Friday afternoons. I have so enjoyed adding this devotion to my week.
  5. Too early in the season still from growing a green thumb! But, my houseplant is continuing to flourish. I think I need to repot it this spring, though.
  6. I have had to cut my jogging down to weekends-only until the sun starts coming up earlier. It is still dark when Brian leaves for work and dark again long before he comes home. Until that changes, I just don't feel safe going running during the hours he is here to watch the kids. But, I knew that would happen. I'm eagerly awaiting the spring when I can get back to my every-other-day routine!
  7. I've had some nice phone conversations with some sisters in Christ this month but not many visits--at least, not intentional ones. Need to work on that.
  8. Epic fail on setting up playdates for Sophia. Such is the way of cold-and-flu season I suppose. If she isn't sick, then all her friends seem to be!
  9. This weekend I did my first sewing project: swaddling blankets for two friends' new babies. A humble beginning, but a beginning nonetheless.
  10. Does grocery shopping count as an educational outing for the children? I'm inclined to think it is. If so, then we're on track with this resolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.