1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. buttermilk or sour milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9'' round cake pans. Line pans with parchment paper rounds and butter rounds. Flour pans, knocking out excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Reduce the mixer speed. Stir vanilla into the buttermilk. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Mix just until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 15 seconds longer.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a knife. Lift up the pan with the batter, and let it drop onto the counter top to burst any air bubbles, allowing the batter to settle.
- Center the pans onto the lower third of the oven and let bake 40 minutes or until the cake is lightly brown on top and comes away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pans on cooling racks.
1/4 tsp. salt