Saturday, May 22, 2010

Gifts of the Spirit Mobile

DSC_0006
First listed in Isaiah 11:2-3 and later expounded upon by St. Thomas Aquinas in his Summa Theologica, the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit are Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel (right judgment), Fortitude (courage), Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord.
DSC_0001
To help my young children gain a very elementary understanding of the Person of the Holy Spirit and the gifts that are bestowed on us by Him, we made a Mobile to celebrate the Feast of Pentecost, when these gifts were first granted and the Church as we know it was officially begun.
DSC_0004
It’s fairly easy, if you’d like to make your own. Just draw and cut out seven doves on plain, white paper. You can write each of the seven gifts on the doves.
DSC_0003
Then, have your little helper or helpers color another sheet of paper (or otherwise decorate) in “flame” colors—we used yellow, orange, and a red-orange. You can also use a paper plate with the ridged edge removed for this purpose. Cut the paper or plate into a spiral.
DSC_0009
Then, glue or tape your doves on in such a way that the colors of the spiral and the words on the doves are visible. Hang wherever your family will best be able to admire and meditate on it. We hung ours from the lamp above our dining table.

4 comments:

  1. Bethany, that is absolutely precious! I've never been a patient mama, and I so wish I had spent more time helping my little one (now 11) do faith- enriching projects like these. She is a very faithful Catholic, but I know that it's in spite of me, mostly. God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I think I'll be doing that with my 3 year old next week! He will love it. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, sorry about the double comment! God bless, and happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.