Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Day of Small Things


"Apples" by Jessie Wilcox Smith

"Who despises the day of small things?" - Zechariah 4:10a

As I was reading my daily Scripture passages, I came across this enigmatic quotation. Confused by the seeming non sequitur, I decided to look it up in the Bible commentary on our shelf. Here, the author drew my attention to the many "days of small things" scattered throughout Scripture, the ways God has chosen the marginal, the unimportant, the mundane to achieve His purposes and to make His Glory known.

So, I found myself thinking about the small things of my life. The diapers, the dinners, the dusting. I thought of my small, unassuming home and my ordinary, unremarkable duties. I thought of my meager talents at writing and homemaking, and I reflected that, to many, my life must seem quite small. This did not discourage me. As an actress, I learned the maxim well: "There are no small parts, only small actors." In other words, it is not what you have been given but what you do with it that reveals either smallness or greatness.

Does your life seem small? If so, do not despise it. For God has always used the day of small things.

2 comments:

  1. I love that verse in Zechariah. I've been studying the book off and on for a year, and I'm amazed at how many significant things the Lord said through this minor prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find myself happier when I've completed a long list of small tasks, verses a large task. There is real satisfaction, at least in my mind, of knowing that the trash cans are empty, the bathrooms are clean, dinner is underway, and some quilt blocks have been pieced.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.