Monday, July 12, 2010

Oven-Roasted Veggie Pasta

DSC_0116
My family has made this recipe since I was a child. We called it simply “The Pasta.” Even my meat-loving Idahoan father-in-law fell in love with it. It’s the vegetarian dish I serve to all my friends and family who swear that they do not like vegetarian food.

Now is the perfect season to give it a try, so what the heck? Even if you think you don’t like vegetarian dishes, why not give this one a whirl?
DSC_0040 DSC_0060DSC_0064
Oven-Roasted Veggie Pasta

 
I no longer remember where my father first found this recipe, but it was in some cookbook that my mother now thinks is out-of-print. In any case, I have made it be memory for years, and I’m pretty sure I might have changed things up a bit. Still, if I ever do discover the original source, I will be sure to cite it here.
1 red onion, peeled and sliced into small wedges
2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
15-20 large cremini mushrooms
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. pecorino Romano, Parmigiano-Reggiano, or Parmesan; grated
1/3 c. flavorful olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
3/4 lb fusili or rotini
Preheat oven to 450F. Combine all ingredients except pasta in a very large bowl until thoroughly combined and all vegetables are well-coated with oil and seasonings. Spread on a large, sturdy baking sheet. Bake in the top third of the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente.

Combine pasta and vegetables in a large serving dish. Pass more grated cheese at the table.


Mangia!
DSC_0103DSC_0070DSC_0119

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking for some vegetarian recipes, so this is perfect timing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great and not complicated. Question: When you say flavorful olive oil, do you mean flavorful as just an adjective or do you mean an olive oil that is flavored with something else?

    (I'm Italian so I should know this, but I didn't start cooking until I was like 40!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann- Just a good extra-virgin olive oil; nothing too fancy, because it will be heated, but you want that flavor to come out in the final product.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.