Friday, August 6, 2010

Feast of the Transfiguration

The Transfiguration of Christ by Theophanes the Greek

The Transfiguration of Christ is recorded in the Gospels of St. Matthew, St. Mark, and St. Luke and has been celebrated since the late 4th century in the Eastern Church. The Roman Rite later embraced the Holy Feast, and in 2002, Bl. Pope John Paul II instituted it as one of the Five Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary.

More than a celebration of Christ, it is a celebration of the entire Trinity, for God the Father spoke from Heaven, God the Spirit appeared in the form of a cloud, and God the Son was the one transformed before the eyes of Peter, James, and John. This is very similar to how the Trinity appeared at the Baptism of Jesus. On both occassions, the Father used the same words:

"This is my Son, whom I love."

Read it.
Pray it.

Read it anew.
Pray it morning, noon, evening, and at the close of blessed day.

You can even let the kids color it.

Someday, we who follow in His footsteps will likewise be transfigured. Someday, we too will hear those longed for words:

"This is my son, this is my daughter, whom I love."

Profound is our hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.