Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Starting School


It crept up on me unexpectedly: my little girl is ready to start formal schooling!

Now, Sophia only turned three in July, and I normally would not advocate schooling so young, but this little soul is ready for some scholarship. She is brimming over with questionst that she wants answers to, and she absolutely thrives on the sort of routine and focused tasks that formal schooling centers on.

I will be homeschooling Sophia for four days a week (with Fridays being our Field Trip day) for 26 weeks--one week for each letter of the Alphabet. Rather than use a purchased curriculum, I am writing my own. I hope to share it with you next year when it is not only completed but tested! I will be sharing photos and projects throughout the year here at The Apple Cider Mill under the new Homeschooling label, so stay tuned. (And maybe say a little prayer for me!)

The whole family is so excited to begin school this September 6th! In the meantime, please forgive me if my posts are a bit sporadic, but this curriculum building is currently taking up a lot of my time. ;-)

For those of you in the same boat as me, just beginning the homeschooling journey, here are some general resources I have found both helpful and inspirational so far:


7 comments:

  1. I saw that you're looking at Charlotte Mason- have you see http://www.amblesideonline.org/ ?

    Best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be reinventing the wheel. There's a wonderful set of curricula, literally called Letter of the Week, to be found at (imaginatively) www.letteroftheweek.com . That's what I've been using with my just-turned-4-year-old (we're on q this week, since we do year-round.)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the ambleside booklists and read their suggestions but I do not follow their schedules, I find it to be way too much, very much like reinventing the wheel like stated above, however I do find it helpful and appreciate all the hard work the mothers have put into it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful adventure you are beginning! I homeschooled for ten years and it was wonderful. Enjoy each moment with your littles as they learn and begin to explore the world around them! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sophia looks so curious and so intent on learning! What a wonderful blessing to have such an inquisitive child. I will pray that the Lord blesses your family as you begin this journey! :)

    Also, there are tons of homeschooling-related books for free on Google Books. Many are manuals on education from the early 20th century. They're a little dated, but still very useful! :)

    Blessings,
    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bethany!
    You may find this list of resources interesting. It includes books for children to teens, but focuses on the Bible as a complete story rather than individual story-bits:

    http://www.heartsandmindsbooks.com/booknotes/innovative_books_on_the_bible/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.