Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Apple Cider Mama Presses Her Own Apple Cider

DSC_0276DSC_0295 
Over Labor Day Weekend, our family met my Idahoan in-laws mid-state for a campout and orchard visit. We picked our own organic peaches and apples, eating them out of hand right off the tree. We also enjoyed a hayride through the orchards, and at the end of our visit, even pressed our own cider with the apples we had picked. We used a combination of Galas and Macs (Macintoshes) for the cider, and boy was it delicious!
DSC_0154DSC_0168DSC_0175DSC_0177  DSC_0194 DSC_0196 DSC_0209DSC_0240DSC_0283 DSC_0262DSC_0255DSC_0291 DSC_0306
Our peaches yielded a pretty collection of halves in juice to be enjoyed in the cold, dreary days of winter. Our apples are destined for jars of applesauce and spiced apple butter and the first delicious pies of the season.
DSC_0385DSC_0381DSC_0387DSC_0414DSC_0420
In the meanwhile, we’ve been enjoying some hot, spiced cider with molasses crinkle cookies, the old recipe passed down through my hometown’s Junior League, the only one my family has used since I can remember. It almost seems a waste, though. Who wants cookies when you can pluck sun-blushed gems from the full basket on the table?

Summer Picking 2010 390
apples 012apples 031apples 015

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post-- makes me wish we were nearer to apple growing country! I wanted to ask how you preserve your peaches--I have not done this before and would love to try it. I have a water bath canning pot for making jam, but have not attempted canning fruit yet. It looks like you had a wonderful weekend! Blessings! Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    In the past, I have canned my peaches in syrup, but I wanted something a little healthier this year (and less sticky-sweet), so I used the Ball Blue Book recipe for peaches in apple juice. Basically, you blanch and peel the peaches. Cut peaches in half and pit. Bring apple juice (and I add fruit color preserver in the recommended allowance so the peaches don't brown in the jars) to boil. Cook peaches in juice for a couple minutes. Put halves pit-hollow side down in sterilized jars, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Pour hot juice over top, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Put lids and screwbands on and process in hot water canner for 25 minutes (20 minutes for pint jars). Then, listen for that satisfying pop!
    God bless,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tale. I remember I had a good peach once. Forget where we bought it, but it was like I remember years ago in my childhood. Sweet, not too soft; not too hard. Delicious. I don't remember when it was, but it was a long time ago. I don't even try the peaches in the store any more.

    I like your blog. Wholesome, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany,

    I don't know if it's because I'm pregnant, but I got so teary eyed seeing the photos of your beautiful family picking apples. Also, I am *so* making those cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany,

    Where did you go to pick? I live in western Wyoming and shop in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MungerMom- We went picking at the Sunshine Farm in Wenatchee, WA (by mid-state, I meant mid-WA--my in-laws live on the boarder in Coeur d'Alene, so they met us halfway!)

    God bless,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.