Thursday, November 4, 2010

November Learning Baskets

DSC_0149Here are our book lists for the month. Each Monday morning, I rotate the books in the children’s learning basket. Usually, I will also place a little something next to the basket that goes along with our theme, such as this statue of a pilgrim mother and daughter that I found for $0.99 at our local Value Village. Currently, we also have a mobile made of leaves that we collected and preserved in orange beeswax hanging above our table.

And no, I’m not breaking the budget by homeschooling our kids. All but one of the books listed below is being taken out of our local library! If we discover a book through our Learning Baskets that is a real favorite, then I put it on a wishlist for future gifts or for future school years and budget for it. But, I like previewing books before I purchase them. I hope these lists will give you and yours some fun ideas to explore, too!

WEEK ONE – Pilgrims
In November by Cynthia Rylant
Three Young Pilgrims
by Cheryl Harness
One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims
Pilgrims of Plymouth by Susan E. Goodman
Sarah Morton’s Day
by Kate Waters and Russ Kendall
Samuel Eaton’s Day by Kate Waters and Russ Kendall

WEEK TWO – Native Americans

Tapenum’s Day by Kate Waters and Russ Kendall
One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims by B. G. Hennessy and Lynne Cravath
The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush by Tomie de Paola
The Gift of the Sacred Dog by Paul Goble
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble

WEEK THREE – Turkeys

Turkey Trouble by Wendi Silvano and Lee Harper
All About Turkeys by Jim Arnosky
A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting and Diane de Groat
Little Tom Turkey by Frances Bloxam and Jim Sollers
A Thanksgiving Turkey by Julian Scheer and Ronald Himler

WEEK FOUR – Thanksgiving

The Importance of Saying Thanks by Douglas Wood and Greg Shed
The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh and Helen Sewell
Squanto’s Journey by Joseph Bruchac and Greg Shed
Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Child and Christopher Manson

WEEK FIVE – Soup

Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak
Stone Soup by Marcia Brown
Soup Day by Melissa Iawai
Mouse Soup by Arnold Lobel
The Cabbage Soup Solution by Erika Oller

7 comments:

  1. Bethany -- I can't tell you how grateful I am for your homeschooling posts! I know I'm not going to be able to start with Nathan until late February or early March, but I'm so excited to do preschool at home. I am pocketing your ideas and being so blessed by them.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have kids, but I remember the "Stone Soup" from when I was a kid. Now I want a basket of fun books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you broke this down...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget "The Courage of Sarah Noble"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember buying the Girl Who Loved Wild Horses when I was a kid. I was always a sucker for any horse books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great soup book is "Pumpkin Soup"...it's about forgiveness and friendship too, definitely one of my favorites for the three-year-old set!

    --Alice

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.