Monday, November 1, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favorite Saints…

In honor of the Feast of All Saints today, I thought I would share with you a few of my nearest and dearest canonized friends and role models.

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

st. elizabeth of hungary

When I was in Kindergarten, my school put on a pageant for All Saints’ Day. We were each supposed to be our patron saint. Well, there’s no St. Bethany, in case you didn’t know, which meant I got to choose my patron. My teacher told me I could choose among the saints whose names were most similar to my own and suggested St. Anne or any of the St. Elizabeths. I asked her to tell me each of their stories, and well, what little girl wouldn’t have jumped at the chance to choose a real life princess for her patron saint!

St. Elizabeth of Hungary and I go way back, and I have always been encouraged by her prayers and spurred on by her generous example of charity toward the poor. She used all of her blessings to be a blessing to others. I hope that, someday, I can look back on my life and say the same.

Read more here.

St. Therese of Lisieux

therese-pose-web

If she hadn’t kept a journal, we might know nothing of the unassuming life of this humble but brilliant soul who spent her short years on earth in the home of her parents and then in a cloistered convent as a Carmelite nun. The thing that has always impressed me so much about St. Therese is that she never let her smallness diminish her. She strove to serve God completely, valiantly, and marvelously in whatever small task was set before her, whether it be fulfilling her obligation to wash a floor, overcoming the temptation to gossip or say something unkind to someone, or simply being fully present in her prayer time. Therese is a saint for the everyman (or woman), and I think we could all do with taking a leaf out of her book.

By the way, she’s also passionate about prayer! While she was alive, she said that she looked forward to death because of all the good she could do in praying ceaselessly in the presence of God for those of us still journeying down here. So, don’t just emulate her, invoke her! She’s a prayer warrior I always want in my court.

Read more here.

St. Thomas More



How do I even begin to explain why I love St. Thomas More? I think it may be safe to say that his life and martyrdom have inspired me more than any other saint apart from the Blessed Mother. Not only was he brilliant, just, humane, generous, and humble, he possessed insurmountable integrity. I have always admired integrity above all things. Perhaps that is to my detriment, as there are many other (arguably worthier) qualities and virtues, but there it is. Whenever I have been faced with a situation where I know I will suffer for standing my ground, I think of St. Thomas More, and I am spurred on to courage and the defense of a clear conscience.

Read more here.

Bl. Pope John Paul II



John Paul II reigned as pope throughout my childhood. At the time, I admit I rather took it for granted that such a holy, kind, humble, brilliant man was the head of the Church. I guess I sort of assumed that all popes had to be that way, otherwise they wouldn’t have become the pope. History tells another story, of course, and in time I learned this. Pope John Paul II inspired me during his life by his profound love of humanity, his passion for knowledge, his deep but humble faith, and his zest for living. Now, I covet his holy prayers and look forward to the day when I can thank him for the example he set for me and for my entire generation of believers.

St. Monica

st. monica

St. Monica is for me a pillar to cling to when the winds blow hard. She endured decades of heartbreak from her faithless husband and children. Yet, she bore up under it not with bitterness but with hope and with prayers that would, ultimately, move mountains and guide a wayward child on the path to sainthood. For anyone who struggles with the pain of desiring that a loved one would come to know the Lord, St. Monica is here. She has shed your tears. She has prayed your prayers, and she prays beside you now.

Read more here.

I would love to hear from all of you. Which saints have inspired you the most in your earthly pilgrimage? Do you have any stories of intercession from a particular saint? If you could meet only one saint when you got to Heaven, who would you choose and why?

A Blessed Feast of All Saints to you!

4 comments:

  1. Ruh roh! I didn't go to Mass this morning. Our priest told us yesterday at Sunday Mass that it's not a Holy Day of Obligation this year, because it falls on a Monday. I already missed the two regular morning services and there aren't any in the afternoon.

    Was he wrong? Or maybe the rules are different from state to state?

    I hope I didn't miss a Holy Day of Obligation, but if I did, it's because the Priest made it sound like being on Monday removed the obligation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or rather, I think he said we're not obliged to go to Mass this year, not that it's not a Holy Day of Obligation. This is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, whoops! I was wrong!! NOT a day of obligation; Maryann's right! I didn't know about the Monday rule. :-) Sorry, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. St. Mary, St. Veronica, St. Anne, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Agnes, St. Frances of Rome, St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Bernadette, Bl. Miguel Pro, St. Maximillian Kolbe, and St. Gianna Molla are saints that I particularly look up to. If I could meet only ONE? That is hard! Other than the Blessed Mother, I think St. Veronica. Her compassion for Our Lord at His time of greatest need is an amazing example of the mercy we should show others. Also, so little is known of her, I would like to know more details of her life.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.