Monday, December 13, 2010

Sweetness and Light

December 2010 173December 2010 169December 2010 130

My mother used to call me this when I was a little girl, Sweetness and Light. She always told me that one of the most remarkable things about me was my joy and that I shone like sunshine in the darkness. My optimism and my childlike wonder I carried with me into adulthood, and as it turns out, these were the very things my husband told me he was first drawn to when we started dating. Now I have my own Sweetness and Light, and I wonder if I ever brought as much joy to my mother’s heart as they do to mine.

Today is St. Lucia Day, the Swedish festival of sweetness and light, and I can’t help but reflect today on these two words. There’s the literal sweetness of the lussekatter (Lucia buns) and Julpepparkakor (Christmas spice cookies) and the literal light of the candles we ignited in the hour before dawn to share our breakfast by, gathered around the coffee table.

But, it is so much more than that.

In the face of a child, in the liturgical year, in the handing down of traditions from mother to daughter to son, in the quiet before dawn when all is magic, in the awesome love of Christ, there is a sweetness and a light that cannot be put into words…

December 2010 149December 2010 150December 2010 166December 2010 172December 2010 170December 2010 176December 2010 181December 2010 179December 2010 190December 2010 175December 2010 163December 2010 133December 2010 192December 2010 195

…and so, like Mary, I will silently treasure all these things to ponder in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. beautiful family and celebration.
    prayers for a JOYfilled Advent and Christmas.
    pax Christi - lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and a beautiful family! Looks like a wonderful celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's possible, there is too much preciousness in these pictures!!! You're so blessed, Bethany. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetness and Light~ I have a girl as this! She is my Sunshine! Wonderful to meet you here! I saw you on the link up. Blessings to you:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.