Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crockpot Split Pea Soup

This soup is incredibly versatile. It can be made with ham or bacon. You can also omit the meat for a vegetarian variation, using olive oil in place of animal fat and water in place of meat stock. The seasoning is so rich and the texture of the soup so velvety that you won’t even miss the meat, though of course, it will taste a bit different. You may use vegetable stock in place of water, also. It’s the perfect soup for a cold winter evening—even during Lent!

Crockpot Split Pea Soup
Serves 6

3 c. dry green or yellow split peas, rinsed well and picked over
1 quart meat stock, or water
1 ½ qt. water
½ lb. ham, cubed or diced (or 3 slices bacon, cooked and torn into small pieces)
1 T bacon fat, lard, or olive oil
1 onions, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
½ t. garlic powder
2 t. salt
½ t. dried marjoram
½ t. black pepper
½ t. dried thyme
¼ t. dried sage

Add peas, stock (if using), and water to crockpot insert. Cover with lid and cook on high for 8 hours. Sauté the onion, celery, and carrot in the fat over medium heat until softened, about 7-10 minutes. Add vegetables and all remaining ingredients to crockpot when there are about 3 hours of cooking time left. Check the water level periodically toward the end of the cooking time, adding more water or stock if necessary, and give the soup a stir every now and again toward the end of the cooking time so that it doesn’t stick to the sides and bottom of the crockpot and scald. Serve hot, preferably with rye bread or another peasant-style loaf.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. I have a great split pea soup recipe from Alton Brown on the Food Network, but it calls for curry and I can't eat curry anymore. This sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I am currently hunting for Lent recipes, and actually posted a kugel recipe today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally made this last night! So good. I substituted curry for the marjoram (didn't have any marjoram in the pantry). It's a little too liquid-y for my husband's tastes, so I'm going to decrease the amount of water next time (but I thought it was perfect as is). Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina - Haha! My husband is fond of the soup this texture (I prefered the leftovers which had thickened a bit!) I've never thought of having it with curry. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.