Sunday, July 3, 2011

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

DSC_0026DSC_0043DSC_0019DSC_0034DSC_0040

I couldn’t, and I mean could not find rhubarb anywhere. All spring. I mean, I drew up my monthly menus for April, thinking I’d snag some for muffins, but no. April came and went. No rhubarb. Then, to my increasing chagrin, the same thing happened in May.

By mid-June, I’d written off rhubarb entirely and resigned myself to a year without it.

Wednesday, hunting for bell peppers with the kids, lo and behold, what should I stumble upon but a bin full of rhubarb! Very red, perfectly ripe rhubarb. I snatched up a pound quicker than blinking, and I hurried over to match it with a pound of strawberries.

“What do you want me to make?” I asked my husband when he got home and I’d showed him my horde.

He arced an eyebrow with a suspicious little smirk. “Um, pie? What else would you make with strawberries and rhubarb?"

Touche, my love. What else, indeed?

Smitten Kitchen has a fantastic Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie recipe. The best I’ve ever tasted. With one caveat: I changed the crust. If you want to figure out my top-secret recipe that I inherited from my grandmother and never give out to anyone? You can read Smitten Kitchen’s recipe, only (here’s the secret part, so pretend I’m whispering this bit) use shortening in place of half of the butter and up the sugar to two tablespoons. Oh, and give the crust a healthy dusting of sugar, too, while you’re at it.

I only wish I knew when I’d be able to lay my hands on another batch of rhubarb!

3 comments:

  1. Tell me about it! This has been one terrible season for fruit and vegetables, poor mites. Granted, once things have finally come into season, they've been delicious, but still... two months is an awful long time to wait for the earliest of spring delicacies. I feel your pain.

    And I wish I'd been there for some of that pie! As it is, I'm spending the 4th in Oxford, grilling with the other ex-pats and resisting the urge to do silly things like pour tea into the Thames. I still can't believe I'm leaving here for good in two days...

    What wild, unexpected, wonderful lives we lead.

    All my love, Chica, to you and yours on this beautiful day.

    S.E. Bancroft

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Dole would be so jealous. You know how he loves pie.
    M.B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I JUST found rhubarb the other night - and it is almost the middle of July already! Thankfully, I had a chance to get out to the strawberry patch yesterday, so we'll have pie and jam for a while :)

    This has been one weird growing season; we're still waiting on decent sweet corn here in Wisconsin too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.