Thursday, August 11, 2011

Preparing for Kindergarten at the Cider Mill Schoolhouse

January 2011 083

The other day, I was meeting with our parish youth minister, who also happens to be a dear friend of mine. She clenched her jaw in that eek, just wait until you hear what I have to tell you way we all do sometimes, and smiled guiltily.

“See this?” she said, holding up the palm of her empty hand. “That’s what I’ve got to show you for curriculum right about now.”

I grinned back, held up my own empty hand and said, “Well, here’s what my homeschool curriculum looks like, too.”

Since that day, I’ve buckled down to business, and slowly but surely, a kindergarten curriculum is being designed for my ambitious daughter, one that will in many ways also serve to captivate my curious, toddling son. I’m continuing to incorporate the concept of a weekly learning basket that will serve as a supplement to our core curriculum. Our CORE subjects will include

  • Religion
  • Reading
  • Writing (new this year!)
  • Math - more focused and regularly implemented than it was in our preschool
  • Social Studies - As with last year, we’ll draw heavily on materials from the learning basket
  • Science (ditto social studies)
  • Spanish – very informal (Let’s see how much mama remembers, shall we?)
  • Art and Music (focusing on exposure, appreciation, and creative expression)
  • Dance

The four-day-a-week schedule really served our family well last year, and we’ll be using a similar format this year, leaving Fridays open for monthly field trips, daily Mass, and running errands that somehow didn’t manage to get done earlier in the week. Friday is also our housecleaning day.

I had many requests for sharing my homeschooling methods and curriculum last year, and though I did share snippets from time to time, I really didn’t feel able or qualified to give much guidance or advice since I was such a novice myself! I’m still learning the ropes, and I know there are countless resources out there that have such excellent inspiration for homeschoolers that I’m hesitant, again, to put my oar in. Yet, at the continued onslaught of requests, I will endeavor (tentatively) to do so.

So, keep your eyes peeled for postings on this year’s Cider Mill Schoolhouse! Hopefully, they will serve to inspire and inform you in your own educational pursuits.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'd love it if you'd share what you do. It actually helps me a TON to hear from moms who are just starting out. So many moms are so into their groove that it is nice to see someone like me who is still trying to make heads or tails out of how to do home school. I hope you share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While we are fully planning on homeschooling, this year we're staying with my mother for a few months - and the kids are getting a little antsy. There's a wonderful (and affordable) preschool down the road that we're going to send both of our little ones to for a few days' of playing. We're not in the least bit concerned with the academic aspect. The kids spend most of the days outdoors in a natural playscape and have a butterfly garden, etc. Since we are not in our own home and there is no backyard here, I can't settle in as much as we're used to. (Plus, we're TTC and I'm trying to get ready for a rough first tri, if we're blessed with a pregnancy!) I'm going to live vicariously through you guys' for this schoolyear, so please do post when you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore what you are giving your children.
    christine w.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.