I made this delicious coffee cake for the start of Advent. Fresh cranberries are readily available at this time of year and very festive, and almond is a traditional flavoring in many holiday treats—especially Swedish ones!
Cranberry-Almond Coffee Cake
1 8-oz. package fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
2 1/4 c. flour (divided!)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 c. frozen cranberries
3/4 c. sliced or slivered almonds
- Butter and flour a Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream the cream cheese and butter until well blended. Cream in sugar until light and fluffy. Add extracts and mix well. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Combine 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl. Add to batter and mix thoroughly.
- Stir cranberries and almonds in a bowl with the final 1/4 c. flour in a separate bowl. Fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 65-75 minutes until tester comes clean. Let cool on rack 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Dust cooled cake with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
This is a fantastic treat to bake ahead, because it lasts, covered at room temperature, for several days. Enjoy!