Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ten Minute Baked Potatoes

DSC_0312

I have a secret.

You’re going to laugh at it.

I make baked potatoes in the microwave!

DSC_0311

Okay, now that you’re done laughing, I’ll share the recipe with you. It makes for a brilliant, quick, delicious meal. I love having everything on hand before leaving for a trip and then tossing it together when we roll in, tired, from the airport or the car. But my husband would happily eat this meal at least once a week—and he’s not a man who like repeat dishes.

Ten Minute Baked Potatoes

Russet potatoes (2-3 small or 1 larger per person), scrubbed clean and dried
cooking oil (I use olive oil)
salt (plain iodized salt is best and helps protect against thyroid disease)
thick-cut bacon (1 slice per person)
butter
cheddar cheese
sour cream
chives, minced

Rub the clean potatoes all over their skins (jackets) with the oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Place them on a double-layer of paper towel in the microwave oven. Cook on high for 8 minutes, then check and microwave at 2 minute intervals until done. (Small potatoes will only need 8 minutes, but larger ones can need up to 16!)

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in the oven (you heard me!) at 450F for 10-12 minutes, until done to your liking. This will make it nice and firm throughout with that caramelized taste of long-cooked meat—and it banishes the gristle!

Slice the potatoes lengthwise down the center and pinch the short ends together so that the insides fluff up. Put a dollop of butter in each potato, then top with cheese, sour cream and chives. (Notice the order of the toppings—you want the butter and cheese to have the chance to melt; that’s why they go on first.)

Serve them up with some broccoli, a fresh salad or, as my family does, pickled green beans. Enjoy!

DSC_0316

P.S. You don’t have to tell anyone you made them in the microwave if you don’t want. Your secret’s safe with me Winking smile

3 comments:

  1. Err...I must confess, I've always made baked potatoes in the microwave. But you have lots of fixins' and details here that can make it a full meal. I always just threw them in the microwave as a side. I wouldn't have thought to put the bacon in the oven for a few minutes, going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe...I have a secret too. It's called "Honey, can you hit the 'potato' button on the microwave please?" Our microwave, as much as I hate the counter hog, has an awesome turn table that also is weight sensitive for certain foods. :)

    My other dinner time secret? Mac and cheese mixed with peas, hotdogs, and some butternut squash. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these a few weeks ago and they were a huge hit! I bought the ingredients to make them again this week:) Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.