Friday, March 23, 2012

Dispelling Decision-Making Doubts

January 2011 078

I’m a planner. I love lists and schedules. Researching an area, plotting out activities, and creating packing lists is half the fun of going on a vacation for me. That said, you can have too much of a good thing.

Sometimes I will spend so much time researching something (monthly menu plans, an upcoming year’s homeschool curriculum) only to find myself second-guessing my decisions a week or two into actually using it! Hours and hours of work only to have them end in frustration and anxiety!

Have you ever been there? (Please tell me you’ve been there!)

I was recently reading Teri Maxwell’s Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit, and she addressed this very topic. Her time-tested advice was both biblical and practical, and so I thought I would share it here with you all.

BEFORE you spend countless hours on a plan and set it in stone:

  1. Commit your efforts to God in prayer.
  2. If you are a married woman, seek your husband’s advice—sometimes he can come up with a solution or decision in a snap second that will save you hours of effort! (If you are unmarried or your husband determines this is outside his area of expertise, go to another godly adviser who can help you.)
  3. Pray for discernment.

Okay, I know, it’s pretty basic stuff. Maybe you’ve tried it. I know I had. And that’s why there’s are two more points that Mrs. Maxwell makes.

AFTER you have made a prayerful decision:

  1. Rest in the knowledge that you (and your husband) have come to this decision through prayer and that it is in fact the decision the Lord led you to. (This will, of course, require that you actually took the time to carefully pray over the matter beforehand.) When doubts creep in, bring them “captive” to the “obedience of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5) and discipline yourself in saying “no” to your fears.
  2. Give thanks to God for His guidance in this matter! (Philippians 4:6) So often, a grateful heart works wonders in really clearing the clouds of self doubt and worry.

So there you have it! I personally have found this “method” of decision-making to be very encouraging. I hope you will be blessed by it, as well.

2 comments:

  1. I've been there. ;) Thanks for this nice little reminder, especially as I'm looking to next school year already (this summer I will a too active baby to keep an eye out for!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri Maxwells's books is a great one too. Being a planner will certainly help when #3 arrives :) And your post isn't basic at all. There have been many times I have made a plan and not consulted my husband or bathed it in prayer and it was a big flop. We need to be reminded that there is nothing to small for the Lord and that our husband are great sounding boards.

    ReplyDelete

If you have questions, words of blessing or encouragement, or simply want to say, "Hello," you are more than welcome to share here. I do ask visitors to respect this as a place of peace, not dispute. Please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you.

Comments are open, though I reserve the right to moderate or delete at my discretion. If you post anonymously, please identify yourself in some way (initials, pseudonymn, etc.) so that I can address you specifically, as there are often multiple anonymous posters on any given comment thread.

I do so look forward to sharing with you all and, God willing, meeting some new friends. May the peace of Christ be with you all.