Thursday, October 11, 2012

Honey Cornbread (Gluten-Free)

honeydrip

I’ll admit, we’ve had a bit of a bumpy start to our gluten-free fortnight. Not because we wanted to cheat, simply because we had no idea how many foods are contaminated by gluten!

We seem to be on track now. I am so grateful that my children and husband are all so committed to the experiment.

My very first gluten-free baking attempt was on Sunday evening. I chose my favorite cornbread recipe, from Cook’s Countrymoist, tender, and full of honey flavor. I had no xanthan gum and only one gluten-free flour in the house: white rice.

While it was cooling, my husband sneaked into the kitchen to nibble. His parents were coming over for dinner and are very homegrown, meat-and-potatoes sort of folks. No “rabbit food” for them. He wanted to save me from any embarrassment in case the experiment had, well, failed. I noticed a missing sliver from the corner of the pan, and I asked him about it.

“Well?” I asked, bracing myself. “How was it?”

And I quote: “If anything, it’s even better!”

So here it is, folks. I hope y’all (gluten-free or otherwise) enjoy!

cornbread2

Honey Cornbread (Gluten-Free)
adapted from Cook’s Country

1/3 c. whole milk yogurt
2/3 c. whole milk

2/3 c. honey
2 eggs
4 T butter, melted
1 ¼ c. white rice flour
1 c. cornmeal
1 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
¼ t. baking soda

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8″ square pan.

Whisk yogurt, milk, honey, eggs and butter together. In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Pour wet mixture into dry and whisk until thoroughly combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature in pan, or serve warm, with butter if desired.

* Note: These are public domain photos, not ones I took, but I swear the cornbread looks identical to mine. I would have taken a picture of my own, but…um…the pan of cornbread got eaten up pretty quickly.

4 comments:

  1. Gluten is in a ton of things - even if the ingredients look ok (contaminated at the plant or along the way somewhere) and even items marked gluten-free can be a problem for some (as we have found out personally).

    I have a favorite cornbread recipe as well but sans dairy and eggs. My husband, who has never liked cornbread ever, loves mine.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made us cornbread (obviously not this recipe) when we had Michael and it was sooo yummy! I'll have to give this recipe a try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this yesterday, and really enjoyed it! (It was even better the next day.) Substituted some mollasses and maple syrup when I ran short of honey, but... well, we actually prefer molasses in this household, so we'll probably keep that or more as a permanent substitution. :)

    (Shared it with a friend of ours whose family is trying GF... he hates molasses, so didn't like ours, but thinks that with honey he'd like it just fine. I thought it was a good thing to recommend for them because it only requires one "special" ingredient, and their budget's a bit tight. :) )

    Thanks for sharing this! I hope to try the pancakes at some point soon, too. (Though it was harder than I would have thought to find cider in January.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.