Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Culture War

DSC_0008

A few weeks ago, my pastor gave an incredibly insightful homily. It shook me up. It wrung me out. Yet, in spite of the discomfort I felt to have the facts laid out so baldly, I felt God’s peace.

I’m still thinking about it weeks later. I thought it was time to share it with you all. The following is just a portion:

“At the root of what is sometimes called a “culture war” is a changing understanding and definition of the human person within our society…The Catholic Church is the foremost source of an alternative vision of the human person and human society to that of contemporary, secular western culture.  And because this Catholic teaching stands in opposition to what this secular culture deems best for humanity, the Catholic understanding must be confronted, and suppressed or co-opted.

“And I know that for many of us this cultural conflict takes place,
not “out there” somewhere, but within our own lives and minds.  We
have a foot in the Church and a foot in our society.  We are influenced
by both – we’re conflicted.  It as though we are standing with one foot
on board a boat and one foot on the dock.  And suddenly the boat
starts to sail away from the shore. What are we to do?  As the gap
between boat and shore, Church and society, widens we will have to
make a choice
.”

You can read the rest here.

You can also listen to the homily here.

5 comments:

  1. (quoting from his homily) Soon there will be no more merely cultural Catholics because
    the social cost and stigma of being labeled a Catholic will get too high.


    I think he's right that events in the not-so-distant future will weed out some cultural Catholics. There is something bracing about that...scary and sad, yet hopeful too, because maybe in the long run it will make the Church stronger? I hope so.

    I'm torn, because on the one hand, I don't want those people to fall away completely, but on the other hand, it they're lukewarm anyway, aren't they already lost? All I know is, the attitudes of in-name-only Catholics detracted me from my faith for many years. When I met Godly, prayerful Evangelical Christians who were at least trying to live their faith, I was very easily drawn to their churches instead of back to my own. They weren't overtly trying to convert me, but so many of my Catholic friends and even family members were so disinterested and noncommital, I thought their attitudes applied to the Church in general.

    But now, if someone thinks the Catholic faith is just a box they check on a form, or a nice tradition on holidays, they might soon drift even from that. Yet I hope others may be drawn closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hard thing for me personally. Over the past few years I have grown closer to God and the Church (you know, a "crazy religious" person though the God Lord knows I am more imperfect than even close to saintly). Meanwhile my husband has sadly drifted away and does not understand anything about what is currently going on (I have found most have no clue about the Catholic Church, the HHS mandate, abortion, etc.). Even my mother in law who claims to be Catholic says we do not need to go to Mass or confession - that we can talk to God anywhere. ~sigh~ I feel lonely many a time. I am glad I can at least visit other Catholic homes online. :) I expect I am not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, my heart is breaking as I read this. I'll be praying for you and your family. Know that you are not alone. The whole communion of saints is with you.

      Delete
    2. You are sweet. I wasn't trying to be whiny or boo to me about it. I wish it were different. I pray that it was different. And maybe one day my prayers will be answered. What is beautiful about our Church is that not only do we have our Lord, we have his beautiful Mother as our own mother and the communion of saints as you said. No matter how alone we feel here on earth, we have those heavenly intercessors praying for us. I am so thankful for being led to the Catholic Church.

      Delete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.