Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Welcome Home, Baby Girl



It happened much more quickly than I'd anticipated, but when the Holy Spirit prods, you move.

Today was Sophia's last day of public school. (I won't say never, but hopefully forever.) Initially, my husband and I had planned to have her finish out the week, but she begged us the last couple of days to bring her home right away, and so we spoke to her teacher, and now our world is spinning on the axis of dulce domum again.

It was, as last days go, a splendid one. Since it happened to be her "half birthday," the class celebrated Sophia with a paper crown and special song. We brought in 2 dozen donuts for snack. Half of them were Seahawks-sprinkled, thank you very much. Go Hawks! 

I'll admit to feeling a bittersweet pang along with the giddy leap in my stomach when she walked out with her backpack and a bag full of her school supplies and projects, but Sophia wasn't phased. She had a playdate with a classmate to get to, and so we all walked home together, a big happy group, to play.

Tea parties, pretend puppies, and playhouses rounded out the afternoon. 






We sit in the quiet of sunset, and I snuggle up with my girl.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, a hint of trepidation in my voice. Not sure if that self-doubt will ever quite go away. "How do you feel about having school at home again?"

Sophia smiles, delighted.

"Happy," she says.

2 comments:

  1. Yay. Yay! Yay!!!

    I was the anonymous poster from last time who was/is going through a similar situation. It was our son's last day in school on Friday. I wrote about it tonight, actually. I went ahead and posted it even though it really needs to be edited for length... ;) Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly for both our families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm so happy for you guys! It sounds like you and Sophia both learned a lot from this experience and that you are both very ready to get back to full-time school at home. I can't wait to hear more about your days educating your children at home and the curriculum you have created for the little years. Happy schooling!

    ~Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.