Thursday, June 26, 2014

Happy Birthday, Sweet Princess: In Which Abby Turns 2


I'm playing blog catch-up at the moment.

Late spring is birthday-and-baptism season in our family, with another birthday (Sophia's) in early summer. It also seems to be birthday season for a lot of our friends, so we've been attending lots of cupcake-laden park dates and parties. It's great fun, but also terribly exhausting, especially with a newborn in the mix!

So, needless to say, my blog has had to take a backseat to life lately.

You know what, though? I'm okay with that.

Life is pretty sweet.

 
 

So delighted that my girl gets this much joy out a book!

Not to mention a simple pancake breakfast. (Chocolate Chip Smiley Sun Pancakes are a birthday specialty at our house.)

 
Birthdays are relatively simple affairs around here.

A good thing, too, since we have so many so close together!

The children are able to pick a special breakfast and dinner of their choice, as well the flavor and construction of their birthday cake. (And the birthday child gets to lick the bowl all by herself!)

Abby isn't quite old enough to make her wishes *accurately* known, but since I know my girl so well, I decided on an ice cream cake: chocolate cookie crumb crust, with layers of vanilla and chocolate ice cream separated by a thick layer of hot fudge sauce. Yum!

We have a special birthday crown that the birthday child gets to wear all day. And, of course, there are presents! We don't go overboard--each child gets three, just as we do for Christmas--but since gifts are a love language, we do our best to shower as much love as possible on our littles.

We don't do birthday parties for our littlest ones.

Cake, candles, and presents seems to provide all the stimulation the under-five crowd can handle for one day! But, we try to make it fun with just our family.

Last year, we took Abby on her first trip to the zoo. This year, with Will's recent arrival, we stayed a bit closer to home.

Presents and pancakes in the morning. A regular nap schedule. Slip-and-slide in the backyard. Hot dogs and corn-on-the-cob for dinner.

And then Godmama and Goddaddy and their crew of three arrived after to sing "Happy Birthday." Abby was a bit wary of the lit candles on her cake. (Sophia had to help blow them out for her!) But don't worry, the cake itself was thoroughly enjoyed.


She'll murder me one day for these last ones later, but I don't care!

Naked baby pictures are the best. One of the better job perks of being a stay-at-home parent. I don't care if she's a big 2-year-old now - I won't be denied my naked baby pictures!

In fact, I think her leaving the world of babyhood to become a Big Girl is all the more reason to have them.



You're welcome!




And, Abby, don't worry. Someday you'll forgive me.

You see, you have to understand, no matter how old you get, you'll always be my baby. 






Happy birthday, princess girl.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet, special, and laid-back way to celebrate a little one's birthday. Many happy returns of the day to Abby and to the rest of your crew. I'm very glad you're finding some time for blogging, just so those of us who've been following along can keep up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful birthday!!! Great pics--thank you for sharing! Bill loves the pancake and I just love all the pictures. We both agree she could be a model!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can tell Bill I'll be happy to make him a Smiley Sun pancake anytime, Mama!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of how you do birthdays! I love that you've got it mostly streamlined. At this point at every birthday, I feel like I am re-inventing the wheel. Gotta work on a better tradition so that it's easier on us and the kids know what to expect more or less!

    I love that little cutie. Happy Birthday Abby! Can I claim her for Michael? #bringbackarrangedmarriages ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Kayleen! I'd be happy to bounce birthday ideas off you any time ;-) I feel like the key to peace in my life is finding a rhythm and then NOT reinventing the wheel once I've got it. Haha! And I'm flattered that you want to "claim" my Abby as daughter-in-law material. That Michael's a good-looking fellow, and I certainly wouldn't mind the in-laws ;-)

      Delete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.