Thursday, November 20, 2014

An All-White Winter Meal


Most of the time, I prefer color in my dinners. If I'm serving green pesto, I'm going to make a Caprese salad, heavy on the tomatoes, rather than a side of green beans. But, every once in a while, the occasion calls for a monochromatic menu.

The all-white dinner is a great trick to have up your sleeve as a Catholic mama. It's the perfect subtle, not-too-difficult but still out-of-the-ordinary way to turn a regular dinner into a feast day celebration! Any holiday dealing with purity, innocence, virginity, Mary, non-martyrs, or forgiveness lends itself well to a symbolic meal of white - and there are a couple coming up just around the corner!

The Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8th) is a perfect time to celebrate the Blessed Mother's purity with an all-white spread. You could round things off with these tasty Mary-themed cupcakes for the sweet tooths in your family. (Feel free to swap the blue icing on the top for white.)

Do you have a little one who's going to be celebrating his or her first reconciliation? (I do!!) This would be the perfect dinner to come home to. (I've heard vanilla ice cream makes a popular dessert.)

Other great times to play your all-white card:
  • Trinity Sunday
  • Feast of St. Bernadette
  • Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes
  • Solemnity of the Ascension
  • Solemnity of the Assumption
  • Holy Thursday
Just to name a few! (If you have any more ideas, please list them in the comments!)


So, what's the spread?

Apple-and-Walnut Slaw 

Sorry there's no recipe yet for the slaw. I make mine with Napa, an easy vinaigrette, and Honeycrisps, but this one is good, too.

There's no right or wrong in this. Obviously, my coconut chicken starts out more white and ends up more golden. I leave the skins on my apples for a flash of red. I find that mixing up the textures is key to making this a satisfying meal, as is choosing ingredients that will pack a punch of nutrients.

Basically, a dinner of poached chicken breast with white rice and biscuits is going to leave you less satisfied than something a bit more well-rounded.

So, have fun! Go wild (and white)! Then, leave a message in the comments section to let me know how it went. I love getting new ideas and new recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Fun idea! I've never cooked an all-white meal yet, but if I did here's what I'd like to make:

    Potato Chowder (or White Bean Soup)
    Roasted Parsnips and Apples
    Fresh White Rolls (or Biscuits)

    And for dessert:

    White Tea Cakes paired with mugs of Hot White Chocolate!

    Tea Cakes (these are delicious, melt-in-your-mouth cookies rolled in powdered sugar):

    1 C. butter
    1/2 C. powdered sugar
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    2 1/3 C. flour
    1/2 t. salt
    3/4 C. finely chopped pecans

    Roll into 1” balls
    Bake at 400* for 10-12 minutes
    Roll in extra powdered sugar while still hot
    Makes 4 dozen cookies

    Hot White Chocolate:

    In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine 1 C. white chocolate (finely chopped) with 1 C. heavy cream, stirring until melted. Then add in 4 C. of half-and-half (or 4 C. whole milk) and 1 tsp. good vanilla, stirring until heated through. Divide between heated mugs, topping with vanilla-whipped cream or marshmallows and white chocolate curls. (And a peppermint stick, if desired.)

    ~Jessi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessi! I love the apples and parsnips idea!

      Delete
  2. Pasta with ricotta! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Bethany, this is it. We have Catholic Courier Journal. What local Catholic newspaper do you have? EVERYONE keeps telling me you should write for a Catholic press.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'm so glad that you have come here to share your heart and thoughts. One quick word from me before you comment:

I ask all visitors to respect this as a place of peace. Disagreements are welcome, but please refrain from posting any ungracious comments. Thank you, and God bless.